Athena is a closed game played with a single deck (52 cards). There are seven tableaus that contain four cards each. The objective is to build the four foundations up by suit from Ace to King.
Odds of winning: Fifty-fifty
Win about 1 in 2 games (50%).
Skill Level: Balanced
Winning involves skill and luck equally.
Move all cards to the four foundations.
- There are four foundations.
- An Ace may move to an empty foundation.
- The foundations build up by the same suit.
- For example the 5♠ may move onto the 4♠ and the 5♦ may move onto the 4♦. Starting with the 5♦ the following sequence can build on top 6♦ 7♦ 8♦ 9♦.
- There are seven tableaus.
- The tableaus build down by alternating colors.
- For example the J♠ may move onto the Q♦ and the J♥ may move onto the Q♣. Starting with the J♥ the following sequence can build on top 10♠ 9♦ 8♣.
- A King may move to an empty tableau. No other cards may move to an empty tableau.
- Sequences of cards built down by alternating color can move together as a group.
- The stock deals three cards face up to the waste when tapped.
- An unlimited number of passes through the stock is permitted. There is no restriction on how many times the waste can be redealt to the stock.
- There is one waste.
- The top card is movable.