Spanish is an open game (all 52 cards dealt face up). Four cards are dealt to each of the thirteen tableaus that built down by rank regardless of suit, with only the top card eligible for play at any time. The objective is to build the four foundations up by suit from Ace through to King.
Rules provide a challenge.
Odds of winning: High
Win about 3 in 5 games (60%).
5 to 10 minutes per game.
Skill Level: Mostly Skill
Winning is mostly determined by skill. A small amount of luck is involved.
How to Play Spanish
Move all cards to the four foundations.
- There are four foundations.
- An Ace may move to an empty foundation.
- The foundations build up by the same suit.
- For example the 3♠ may move onto the 2♠ and the 3♦ may move onto the 2♦. Starting with the 3♦ the following sequence can build on top 4♦ 5♦ 6♦ 7♦.
- There are thirteen tableaus.
- The tableaus build down by rank regardless of suit.
- For example the J♠ may move onto the Q♠, Q♥, Q♣ and Q♦. Starting with the J♥ the following sequence can build on top 10♠ 9♠ 8♦ 7♣.
- Any card may move to an empty tableau.
- The top card is movable.
Strategy & Tips
- While not required by the rules, build the tableaus down by suit when possible.