Canister is an open game (all cards face up). The cards are dealt to the eight tableaus with the first four containing seven cards and the remaining four containing six cards.
Rules provide a challenge.
Odds of winning: Low
Win about 1 in 3 games (33%).
5 to 10 minutes per game.
Skill Level: Mostly Skill
Winning is mostly determined by skill. A small amount of luck is involved.
How to Play Canister
Move all cards to the four foundations.
- There are four foundations.
- An Ace may move to an empty foundation.
- The foundations build up by rank regardless of suit starting with an Ace and ending with a King.
- For example the 3♠ may move onto the 2♠, 2♥, 2♣ and 2♦. Starting with the 3♥ the following sequence can build on top 4♠ 5♠ 6♦ 7♣.
- Once on the foundation, the top card can continue to move as needed to build sequences on the tableau.
- There are eight tableaus.
- Any card may move to an empty tableau.
- The tableaus build down by rank regardless of suit.
- For example the J♠ may move onto the Q♠, Q♥, Q♣ and Q♦. Starting with the J♥ the following sequence can build on top 10♠ 9♠ 8♦ 7♣.
- Sequences of cards built down by rank can move together as a group. The sequences can build down regardless of suit.
- An unlimited number of passes through the stock is permitted. There is no restriction on how many times the waste can be redealt to the stock.
- The stock deals one card face up to the waste when tapped.