American Canister Solitaire
American Canister is an open game (all cards face up). The cards are dealt to the eight tableaus with the first four containing seven cards and the remaining four containing 6 cards. Like Canister except cards are restricted to building by alternating color. This makes it a more difficult game than traditional Canister.
Odds of winning: Very Low
Win about 1 in 50 games (2%).
Skill Level: Mostly Skill
Winning is mostly determined by skill. A small amount of luck is involved.
Move all cards to the four foundations.
- There are four foundations.
- An Ace may move to an empty foundation.
- The foundations build up by the same suit.
- For example the 5♠ may move onto the 4♠ and the 5♦ may move onto the 4♦. Starting with the 5♦ the following sequence can build on top 6♦ 7♦ 8♦ 9♦.
- Once on the foundation, the top card can continue to move as needed to build sequences on the tableau.
- There are eight tableaus.
- Any card may move to an empty tableau.
- The tableaus build down by alternating colors.
- For example the Q♠ may move onto the K♦ and the Q♥ may move onto the K♣. Starting with the Q♥ the following sequence can build on top J♠ 10♦ 9♣.
- Sequences of cards built down by alternating color can move together as a group.
- An unlimited number of passes through the stock is permitted. There is no restriction on how many times the waste can be redealt to the stock.
- The stock deals one card face up to the waste when tapped.