Malmaison is played with four standard decks (208 cards). There are ten tableaus that contain eight cards each. The objective is to build the sixteen foundations up by suit from Ace to King.
Odds of winning: Very Low
Win about 1 in 10 games (10%).
Skill Level: Mostly Skill
Winning is mostly determined by skill. A small amount of luck is involved.
How to Play Malmaison
Move all cards to the sixteen foundations.
- There are sixteen foundations.
- An Ace may move to an empty foundation.
- The foundations build up by the same suit.
- For example the 3♠ may move onto the 2♠ and the 3♦ may move onto the 2♦. Starting with the 3♣ the following sequence can build on top 4♣ 5♣ 6♣ 7♣.
- There are ten tableaus.
- The tableaus build down by the same suit.
- For example the 10♠ may move onto the J♠ and the 10♥ may move onto the J♥. Starting with the 10♣ the following sequence can build on top 9♣ 8♣ 7♣ 6♣.
- Any card may move to an empty tableau.
- Sequences of cards built down by the same suit can move together as a group.
- The stock deals one card face up to the waste when tapped.
- There is one waste.
- The top card is movable.