Lucas is a closed game played with a single deck (52 cards). The four foundations each contain an Ace. There are thirteen tableaus that contain three cards each. The objective is to move all cards to the four foundations by building them up by the same suit.
Rules are easy to understand.
Odds of winning: Very High
Win about 3 in 4 games (82%).
5 to 10 minutes per game.
Skill Level: Mostly Skill
Winning is mostly determined by skill. A small amount of luck is involved.
How to Play Lucas
Build foundations up by the same suit. Build tableaus down by the same suit. Fill empty tableaus with any card. Stock deals one to waste without redeals.
The goal of Lucas is to move all fifty-two cards to the foundation piles. You achieve this by building sequences of cards up by the same suit that start with an Ace and end with a King. You win when the four foundations each contain a complete sequence of thirteen cards.
- There are four foundations.
- Initially containing an Ace in each foundation.
- The foundations build up by the same suit.
- For example the 4♠ may move onto the 3♠ and the 4♦ may move onto the 3♦. Starting with the 4♦ the following sequence may build on top 5♦ 6♦ 7♦ 8♦.
- There are thirteen tableaus.
- Initially containing three cards face up in each tableau.
- The tableaus build down by the same suit.
- For example the 7♠ may move onto the 8♠ and the 7♥ may move onto the 8♥. Starting with the 7♦ the following sequence may build on top 6♦ 5♦ 4♦ 3♦.
- The top card is movable.
- Any single card may move to an empty tableau.
- The stock deals one card face up to the waste when tapped.
- A single pass through the stock is permitted. Redeals are not possible. Once on the waste, cards remain until used in a valid move.
- There is one waste.
- The waste is initially empty.
- The top card is movable.
- Once empty the waste remains empty until more cards move from the stock.
There are 5 games that have a similar play style to Lucas:
- Fortunes Favor - Empty tableaus automatically fill from the waste, then the stock then with any card. There are twelve tableaus. Initially containing one card face up in each tableau.
- Preference - Empty tableaus automatically fill from the waste, then the stock then with any card. There are eight tableaus. Initially containing one card face up in each tableau.
- Robie - Two decks. Fill empty foundations with Aces. There are eight foundations. There are ten tableaus. The tableaus are initially empty.
- Lanes - Build tableaus down by alternating color. There are six tableaus.
- Corona - Two decks. Fill empty foundations with Aces. There are eight foundations. Empty tableaus automatically fill from the waste, then the stock then with any card. There are twelve tableaus.