Fortress is an open game (all 52 cards are displayed face up at the beginning of the game). The objective is to build the four foundations up by the same suit.
Rules are easy to understand.
Odds of winning: Very Low
Win about 3 in 50 games (6%).
5 to 10 minutes per game.
Skill Level: Mostly Skill
Winning is mostly determined by skill. A small amount of luck is involved.
How to Play Fortress
The goal of Fortress is to move all 52 cards to the foundation piles. You achieve this by building sequences of cards up by suit that start with an Ace and end with a King. You win when the four foundations each contain a complete sequence of thirteen cards.
- There are four foundations.
- An Ace may move to an empty foundation.
- The foundations build up by the same suit.
- For example the 3♠ may move onto the 2♠ and the 3♦ may move onto the 2♦. Starting with the 3♠ the following sequence can build on top 4♠ 5♠ 6♠ 7♠.
- There are ten tableaus.
- The tableaus build both up and down by the same suit. For example the 6♠ may move onto the 5♠ or the 7♠. Starting with the 6♥ the following sequence can build on top 7♥ 8♥ 7♥ 6♥.
- Any card may move to an empty tableau.
- The top card is movable.