Chateau is an open game with all cards face up from the beginning of play. It uses two standard decks (104 cards) with eight dealt to each of the 13 tableaus. Sequences are built down by rank regardless of suit. The object of the game is to build the eight foundations up by suit from Ace through to King.
Odds of winning: Very High
Win about 4 in 5 games (80%).
Skill Level: Mostly Skill
Winning is mostly determined by skill. A small amount of luck is involved.
How to Play Chateau
Move all cards to the eight foundations.
- There are eight foundations.
- An Ace may move to an empty foundation.
- The foundations build up by the same suit.
- For example the 6♠ may move onto the 5♠ and the 6♦ may move onto the 5♦. Starting with the 6♦ the following sequence can build on top 7♦ 8♦ 9♦ 10♦.
- There are thirteen tableaus.
- The tableaus build down by rank regardless of suit.
- For example the J♠ may move onto the Q♠, Q♥, Q♣ and Q♦. Starting with the J♥ the following sequence can build on top 10♠ 9♠ 8♦ 7♣.
- A King may move to an empty tableau. No other cards may move to an empty tableau.
- Sequences of cards built down by rank can move together as a group. The sequences can build down regardless of suit.
Strategy & Tips
3 tips for the best chance of winning Chateau:
- Build sequences on the tableaus by suit instead of by rank.
- Don't let one foundation get too far ahead of the others.
- After the eight Kings are at the head of each tableau, leave the other stacks in place until needed.