Rank and File Solitaire
Rank and File is played with two standard decks (104 cards). There are ten tableaus that contain four cards each. The objective is to build the eight foundations up by suit from Ace to King.
Odds of winning: Very High
Win about 4 in 5 games (80%).
Skill Level: Balanced
Winning involves skill and luck equally.
How to Play Rank and File
Move all cards to the eight foundations.
- There are eight foundations.
- An Ace may move to an empty foundation.
- The foundations build up by the same suit.
- For example the 7♠ may move onto the 6♠ and the 7♦ may move onto the 6♦. Starting with the 7♦ the following sequence can build on top 8♦ 9♦ 10♦ J♦.
- There are ten tableaus.
- The tableaus build down by alternating colors.
- For example the J♠ may move onto the Q♦ and the J♥ may move onto the Q♣. Starting with the J♥ the following sequence can build on top 10♠ 9♦ 8♣.
- Any card may move to an empty tableau.
- Sequences of cards built down by alternating color can move together as a group.
- The stock deals one card face up to the waste when tapped.
- There is one waste.
- The top card is movable.