Martha is a closed game played with a single deck (52 cards). The four foundations each contain an Ace. There are twelve tableaus that contain four cards each. The objective is to move all cards to the four foundations by building them up by the same suit.
Rules provide a challenge.
Odds of winning: High
Win about 3 in 4 games (78%).
5 to 10 minutes per game.
Skill Level: Mostly Luck
Winning is mostly determined by luck. A small amount of skill is involved.
How to Play Martha
Build foundations up by the same suit. Build tableaus down by alternating color. Move sequences built down by alternating color together. Fill empty tableaus with valid sequences.
The goal of Martha is to move all fifty-two cards to the foundation piles. You achieve this by building sequences of cards up by the same suit that start with an Ace and end with a King. You win when the four foundations each contain a complete sequence of thirteen cards.
- There are four foundations.
- Initially containing an Ace in each foundation.
- The foundations build up by the same suit.
- For example the 4♠ may move onto the 3♠ and the 4♦ may move onto the 3♦. Starting with the 4♦ the following sequence may build on top 5♦ 6♦ 7♦ 8♦.
- There are twelve tableaus.
- Initially containing four rows alternating between face down and up.
- The tableaus build down by alternating color.
- For example the 7♠ may move onto the 8♦ and the 7♥ may move onto the 8♣. Starting with the 7♥ the following sequence may build on top 6♠ 5♦ 4♣.
- Sequences of cards built down by alternating color may move together as a group.
- Any card or valid sequence of cards may move together to fill an empty tableau.
There are 2 games that have a similar play style to Martha:
- Muse - Adds seven cells. Fill empty foundations with Aces. The foundations are initially empty. There are nine tableaus. Initially containing a Klondike layout with all cards face up.
- Willow - Adds four tableau_bs. Fill empty foundations with Aces. The foundations are initially empty. There are seven tableaus. Initially containing a Klondike layout with all cards face up.